Sunday, July 8, 2007

An excellent response by a true Sardaar:

An excellent response by a true Sardaar:

Well, jayant , my friend, told me the following

incident which i wish to share with you. It has had a

deep impact on my thinking. In the diwali vacation,

Jayant and his couple of friends had gone to delhi .

They rented a taxi for local sight-seeing. The driver

was a old sardar, and boys being boys, Jayant and his

pals began cracking sardarji jokes, just to insinuate

the old man. But to their surprise, the fellow

remained unperturbed. At the end of the sight-seeing,

they paid up the hire-charges. The sardar returned the

change. Moreover, he gave each one of them one rupee

extra and said,( in Hindi , of ourse) ,''son, since

morning you have been telling sardarji jokes. I

listened to them all and let me tell you, some of

them were in a very bad taste. Still, I don't mind coz

I know that you are young blood and are yet to see

the world. But I have just one request. Here I am

giving you one rupee each. Give it to the first sardar

beggar that you come across in this city."

Jayant continued," That one rupee coin is still with

me. I couldn't find a single sardar begging on the

streets of Delhi ." Friends, we all love sardar jokes.

But the fact of matter is that sikhs are one of the

mostprosperous and diversified communities in the

world.

The secret behind their universal success, according

to me , is their willingness to do any job with utmost

dedication. A sardar will drive a truck or set up a

roadside garage or a dhaba, but he will never beg on

the streets.

Are we just going to pass on long forwarded mails of

sardar jokes, or are we going to try and bring our own

community on par with theirs ??


No comments: